1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.5 Physics Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 25, 2023.

1. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

1:44. DRS stuck open. On the worst iteration of the Pirelli

Edit: Better footage below. You can compare the difference before and after DRS failure. Bear in mind that this is actually worse than keeping DRS open, as the upper element of the wing flipped 180 degrees, which probably created negative downforce!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

Really don't know if the front tires in this fast corner don't give up first and induce understeer. I believe this is what we see now in 1.5. In slow corners and in cars with real power on rear, if you make a hard turn and accelerate, you loose rear. In fast corners, too much wheel input leads to understeer, because front tires loose grip first. I really can't see anything wrong in 1.5.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Then a Custom ffb file may be your next best option. If you find one that has the overall characteristics you want, a few tweaks to those textures you speak of should be quite possible.
    The options in custom files are vast but, most of the pertinent ones related to various road effects are listed near the top.

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

And remember that road cars have purposefully damped steering for comfort purposes. Drive a real race car or kart with race tires and you will not mistake that you can feel every nuance of the track surface through the wheel (as well as your body and butt). Just sitting in a Formula Trainer in neutral idling is enough to realize how much work goes in to isolating NVH in road cars. It is literally a spine-tingling experience.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

It's what happens when a car is set-up conservatively to be neutral or favour understeer. This is the way a race school car is typically set-up, because otherwise half the cars end up facing backwards since people who have only driven road cars are not expecting a vehicle that "turns by itself" into corners with such little steering input.

I am sure some of the default set-ups will be tweaked here and there in AMS 2, but so far, in every car where the set-up has been too conservative for my liking, very basic set-up changes have immediately transformed it. In a rudimentary race car (or even some advanced road cars), the typical first adjustment is roll bars. Stiffen the rear one and/or soften the front. This is not the best way to tune a race car, but it is the most common way to adjust a car that is already properly configured for all the complicated settings (springs, dampers, camber, toe, etc.). Tire pressures are the other common way to adjust balance. Try these and I am almost 100% sure that you will easily dial-out the offending understeer. The devs have already looked after all the complicated stuff for most purposes...certainly enough to drive and race in a fun context :)

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

Perfect. I saw this week a lot of comments about this update, and I tried to test those comments, because I really think 1.5 update is amazing, fun to drive, messing around with car settings have the desired results, but always see a lot of talking about GT3, cars that I really don't like to drive, because have a lot of assist, people talking about ACC and RF2 marvelous physics, and AMS2 going from "floating cars with no grip" to "impossible to lose rear end in GT3". And do this final test with those (for me) boring cars and finally will only have fun with the great work done by Reiza:

Yes, you can spin like hell braking and turning. Just disable ABS.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The only time I feel anything through my daily driver wheel is if it needs a wheel balance. If you can feel more than that then your car has steering issues. Usually you feel it through the seat of your pants.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

There is nothing wrong or special in my normal car and I can't feel the vibrations thru steering wheel fine. Because my butt and whole body feels them stronger, I didn't really even notice it until I paid attention AFTER I read claims about not feeling these things thru your steering wheel from sim racing discussions. Just today when I drove to work, this discussion came to mind and paid attention and it's clear as a day.

It would be really weird if you wouldn't be able to feel anything like that, but you would with your butt...

If a sim doesn't give me any of that feeling thru the FFB, it feels really weird and artifical. Fortunately this isn't a problem in AMS2.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Richard Wilks

Richard Wilks Active Member

A pole position lap in 1998. Look how many corrections he does on the steering wheel, specially on slow corners. Look how he is basically sliding off the La Source hairpin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. mesfigas

mesfigas Member

should i use the Release candidate or none ?
    which one has the latest 1.5 physics for all cars ?

11. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

Doing the inputs Mika did there is one thing, but it always amazes me that F1 drivers maintain sense of what the car is doing when the Gs - especially acceleration rate of change or jerk - are ridiculous. Physically for normal people that kind of ride would be a terrifying experience, unable to hold their head straight. It must be like a leisurely jog for F1 drivers for them to be able to control the car reliably through the weekend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

No RC needed if your game is up to date then all the cars except karts are using the new tire model and pysics

• Like Like x 1
  13. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

If we had a penny for every time someone reached that premature conclusion over the last 3 years, our resources wouldn´t be so limited :p

• Funny x 35
    • Like x 6
    • Winner x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Creative x 1
  14. Renato Simioni

While never-ending debates about a racing sim´s physics are hardly AMS2-exclusive and it´s not surprising a heavily physics-focused update would reignite them, the amount of micro-analysing and second-guessing when it comes AMS2 physics from segments of the sim racing crowd is so off the charts that it´s just bemusing to see, and I´ve been at this for long enough to tell some of these folks just approach it differently for whatever reason.

Just enjoy what you enjoy people, leave others to enjoy what they do and stop trying to convince each other who is right and who is wrong. To the extent you don´t enjoy some aspects of AMS2 physics, try articulate those impressions as objective constructive criticism without making it a reaction to someone else´s take on it - always try keep in mind that just because someone recorded their opinion and uploaded it to Youtube, that doesn´t make it any more credible than the next user :)

And if you happen to think AMS2 is completely off and / or v1.5 has been at most a minor step in the right direction or even in the wrong direction to the point that it frustrates you, at this point there is little value in insisting with it and in the process limiting your time with whatever sim does ring the right bells for you. As realistic as they are or attempt to be, at the end of the day they are all still videogames folks - life is too short to use them for anything else other than having fun :)

• Like Like x 24
    • Agree Agree x 15
    • Winner Winner x 14
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. stealthradek

stealthradek I know nothing. AMS2 Club Member

INB4 "Reiza confirms AMS2 is not a simulator!" or "Arcademobilista" ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. Renato Simioni

It is a game in the simulation genre, in which the gameplay value is reliant on the accuracy to the subject it´s simulating. That´s still a videogame tho.

Happy to settle that philosophical debate for you all :p

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
  17. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I guess the obvious question is what would madness engine with more resources would be like. I guess we find out in the new game by S4S

> What we are running with is SETA2, which is our new tyre model. It’s written from scratch from the ground up for our next sim. It’s an advancement on what we had with Project CARS 2. We’re making it more efficient as well, so it runs faster, but the machines are getting more powerful as well, so that helps us and, from my perspective, I’m fairly confident we’re going to come through with something that feels properly next gen’. It’s not a reuse of anything that’s gone before—we’re not using Terence Groening’s suspension model that’s been in every ISI-based sim for the last 20 years or whatever. We're doing that ourselves. All of the physics we’re doing ourselves so it’s pretty advanced

Obvs not even mentioning that ams2 is the best sim physics ever created but further improvement seems to be coming

Last edited: Aug 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  18. stealthradek

stealthradek I know nothing. AMS2 Club Member

I'm not disagreeing, I love how AMS2 looks, sounds and feels. I was just having a god at oversensational media / content creator headlines based on out of context quote, that's unfortunately too common practice.

Please keep doing what you're doing everyone at Reiza as you're great!

PS: I am still quite chuffed with "Arcademobilista" term. :whistle: Please don't use without permission ;)

19. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Recently, I've posted quite a few video reactions to v1.5 in the "More Videos Guys" thread because Reiza's products have generally not had much publicity compared to other racing sims, and it has been refreshing to see AMS2 get a fair crack of the whip. Of course, it is up to the viewer to decide how much these "influencers", whether giving an approving review or not, influence the viewer - if at all. :) I may give my copy/paste days a rest and invite others to add to the thread as they see fit.

• Like Like x 2
  20. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Where's this quote from? Can't find it on their website.