Automobilista 2 V1.5 Physics Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 25, 2023.

1. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

6:54 making the car turn around corners by using the throttle, it should just understeer off the track.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

I think by far the biggest hindrance in AMS2 physics development so far had been being blindsided to how the physics engine was actually working, either from lack of knowledge on our part or from issues within the engine leading to parts of it not working as they were supposed to - once we got a firmer grasp on that we have the team and the skills to make quick progress working thru a large catalogue of cars - we just did it, even if the work is still ongoing finetuning some of them.

Of course it goes without saying that if the content pool was narrower we’d be able to cover more ground more quickly and potentially more in-depth, and that goes for everything not just physics - but that just isn’t the sim we wanted to work on. I’d be personally bored out of my mind if GT cars were all I had to work on for years on end for ex and I know others in the team feel the same way; working on GT cars in a sim “multiverse” where many other types of vehicles also exist is however a far more stimulating challenge - harder to accomplish succesfully no doubt, but all the sweeter once you manage it :)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 47
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Physics, physics, physics, physics...

Do most simracers boot up the game just to race alone on track?

AMS2 physics is already pretty good, but the community keeps focusing so much on it.

The game will be on version 10.9.9.9 and the talk will mostly stay the same: physics, physics, physics, physics.

While physics is indeed the core of any sim, this obsession can't be good.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  4. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

when multiplayer is more stable and reliable there'll be lots of leagues to compete in then the focus will shift balance from 100% physics physics physics, to physics AND the racing side of the game

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Brett Nagle

Brett Nagle Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Couldn't agree more. I understand people wanting it to be realistic, but eventually the juice isn't worth the squeeze. There are other things that need improvement outside of the physics, yet the loudest people seem to be hyper focused solely on that and IMO have lost the forest through the trees.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Djin

Djin Member

Here is another video comparing AMS2 (version 1.5) and ACC, echoing what Nils said about the behavior of the GT3s.

7. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm still waiting for a video comparing AMS2 Formula Classic Gen 4 vs ACC Formula Classic Gen 4...

Joke aside, the bane of all sims having GT3 is that they have to handle like ACC, the pinacle of GT3 correctness.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Inkta

Inkta Active Member AMS2 Club Member

First let me say thanks for responding to this, I understand it must be difficult to hear physics discussions going on when there is already improvements on the making. If I learnt anything from reading the 1.5 Physics development is that I have no clue how any of the development of a physics model works, so I'm pretty confident any little change in the tyre thread can change the behaviour of the car completely like you said.

But one thing I may add, how different do you see the handling carecteristics of AMS2 in comparison to what was done in AMS1? I've always had AMS1 as one of the nicest driving experiences in sim racing and was wondering where AMS2 was gonna differ from the first. Again for example the Stock car 2017 in AMS1 vs the 2019 in AMS2, the latter seems way more forgiving than the first. Is that just a limitation of the first game?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Djin

Djin Member

Well... Not according to Daniel Morad xD. He kindly trashed ACC on his channel and said iRacing was much much more realistic. It would be interesting having his take on AMS 2 aswell, after all he 's a professional GT3/GT4 driver. He could be biased though...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

Most that want the edge are able to dial that in by adjusting their own setup. For people that want a “pro” setup maybe reiza can provide one for them. Or maybe links on how to adjust a cars setup, basics to comprehensive detail

11. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

He will he said once the season is over. He also said about iracing is the tire is lacking mid corner, a lack of yaw/slip angle. Anything about 95% the tire turns to butter and recovery is futile. Key in iracing is to know the line (95%) and don’t go over into the dead zone

• Like Like x 2
  12. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Quite right . if we were to somehow suspend ourselves from the car seat and floor IRL , so that all we had contact with was the wheel . we would soon find driving almost impossible .

If the wheel is the only thing we were to substitute for in ffb , we might as well just get a shaft with a wheel attached and bolt it to a rig or desk and use a rubber band on each direction.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Richard Wilks

Richard Wilks Active Member

If i can chime in on that, i wouldnt say its a limitation of the engine, more that such dynamics are trickier to achieve in AMS1 than they are in AMS2, due to the nature of the tire model in AMS1. I spent many moons trying to get tires in AMS1 to behave more like ones in more modern engines, with some success i can say, but for sure it wasn't easy, nor was it done in a short time. So my guess would be, the team probably wanted the AMS2 behaviour, but they ran out of time/ideas to get there before AMS2 came along.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

I’ve driven rear w
    I have driven rear wheel drives most of my life so your theory doesn’t hold water. I (and many others) want the FFB to compensate for the “seat of the pants” inputs that are missing when sitting at your desk/rig/whatever.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

the 1.5 update was mostly about revised tire model so people discussing that revision and its impact (ie physics) is hardly surprising.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Frankly, everybody is gonna be biased towards their favorite most played sim, it's simply human nature. I was biased towards thinking GP4 had the best AI ever, (it's pretty damn good) because it was my favorite sim by far.
    But after playing it without the rose tinted glasses, I saw it's many shortcomings like their poor awareness and over aggressiveness.

Point being that no matter how good x sim is versus y, it's gonna be very difficult to convert a fan from one to the other, if they have been playing it from a very long time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. morpwr

morpwr Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Actually id be ok with that. Only thing with that is people would scream when their lap times went in the toilet. Personally i think this last update was really good. It feels like youre driving a car now. What i mean by that is its very easy to jump in anything now and know when and what you are doing wrong. Normally most sims i feel like im learning to drive how the developer wants me too. Which to some extent wont change but when youre doing things you know youd never do irl and told thats how it is it turns me right off. I dont need to learn new bad habits because its the only way to be fast.lol Sure some things may need some tweaking but i think this was a huge step for AMS2.

Nice job to all the guys at Reiza and behind the scenes!!!!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Lap times (in time trial) are probably the least affected. Even a misbehaving or difficult car can be wrestled to string together a single "good" lap if you try enough times. It's the realistic racing experience that would suffer, and any hope of racing online with a gang of random people, that gets tricky when you amp-up the tire grip to full authentic mode. How many of us actually want to ruin a set of tires because we had one accidental lock-up as is the case in F1 today. Or, end-up in the gravel either stuck or race ruined because we couldn't perceive the knife edge of grip necessary for a competitive lap...focusing for every single corner....for the entire race....while sitting in our pretend race seats (or worse)?

Even with full g-forces in real race car, the line between grip and spin can be very difficult to manage. I know, because even in a relatively conservative set-up car, I have managed to do a 180 just by trying to push a little bit harder from a baseline of an already reasonably competitive lap (and I have managed this in multiple different race cars at different tracks under different conditions!). The sensation is almost imperceptible (to us mere mortals), yet in one scenario the car proceeds through the corner well and in the other it spins violently :)

• Like Like x 3
  19. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

That’s where most sims today are more of a hot lap session. The TT laps are the farthest from reality. I set a fast time at IMS in the 98 CART car and right after the finish line it blew up.

You can join an IMSA race in another sim and if you’re talented enough you can go 10 tenths without any consequences, that’s not reality. It’s not like you should be dialing the car back as if it was a 24hr race. My sim racing races are never as fast as my practice sessions as the risk is lower. I was impressed with ams2 and a98 CART race at Long Beach. I missed too many shifts in that race and with 10 to go I lost 2nd and 4th gear. That was cool and realistic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. morpwr

morpwr Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Ive been around cars/race cars most of my life so i get what youre saying. I actually just looped a car in AMS2 the other day for the first time in a real long time. It bit me and i actually thought it was cool. Pushed too hard to early in the corner and paid for it.

Thats what kills me about sims though. Everyone complains this isnt right that isnt right but if it was they would complain its too hard. Not saying hard to drive equals right because it isnt cars arent hard to drive. Getting everything out of them is. Id still vote for the full authentic.:)

• Informative Informative x 1