1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General AMS2 Release & Feedback Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Micropitt, Jul 1, 2020.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I think it's one of the Kunos guys :p Who else would sit there and pick all those little details other than another developer.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 4
  2. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

Interesting....

Reiza doesn't delete criticism. There always is that fine difference between constructive criticism and creating/posting trashy videos. Look at the Bug reports. Plus, if you would have paid attention in this Forum you would have realized that a lot of people discussing a lot of constructive criticism every single day. The big difference here is that people discussing it and trying to make the game better instead of trashing the company. The Youtube video was created to trash the company, it is simple as that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

TLDR: The slow to avoid a penalty ruins multiplayer racing, causes rage quits and lowers online player numbers. For the player base to grow fixing this would help.

This morning I jumped into a random lobby to race Stockcars at Curitiba. Qualified 4th put once the session ended, I was placed on pole. Not sure if that was a bug or others having grid penalties.

TWICE in the race I was punted off track from behind, and received a slow down warning from the game to avoid a time penalty. I slowed and slowed and the first time it went away. The second time however it wasn't enough and I was given a drive through penalty. The next lap I served this but took off the limiter on the first pit exit white line instead of the second and received a time penalty anyway. Very frustrating. I fought my way back through the field somewhat, noticing many others had penalties and drive throughs as well. The race started with about a dozen and finished with just three.

To cap things off, the leader and myself both ran out of fuel despite fueling correctly for 10 laps (plus an extra lap for safety in my case).

I understand applying penalties for track cuts is nuanced and it's hard for the game to know if someone has cut a chicane vs running wide and losing time. However, the current system is very frustrating.

Ideally the game could look at the delta time for the lap and know whether the driver all of a sudden gained or lost time before triggering the penalty system. Maybe (hopefully) this can happen long term.

In the short term (hopefully for the end of month update), I feel two changes would make a big difference:
    1. Give a countdown timer so the driver knows how long they have to slow down before the warning becomes a time penalty.
    2. Give an exact speed that must be reached to clear the warning.

Currently people loiter slowly in the middle of the track waiting for the message to go. It causes further collisions and people have no idea what is going on. It's a mess.

With these proposed changes, you might know that there is a slower corner that you can reach before the timer runs out and pull off line to the set speed to clear the warning. The driver will still have a consequence for a track cut and lose some time, but the whole thing can be handled in a safer and more intelligent way.

I love the driving in this game and want to see it flourish, but the online lobbies are bare and the races that do run lose a dramatic amount of players. If you agree please hit that button. If not, please comment.

• Agree Agree x 16
  4. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I think we should just leave penalties off for now. But I’m sure some of you guys are more serious than I am.

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

That is the thing, mate... first, a very smart thing to do is to not waste our time practicing though-policing. That is because we never know and it don't really matter (he can be a huge Reiza's fan frustrated... he can be just an att-wh0r3... or he can be a Kunos representative... really don't matter). The only thing that matter on somebody's sayings is it's logic and empirical/theoretical base. On this video the guy (for whatever reason he was moved by... don't matter to us, because it's his business) build an entire argument. Somethings he said can mean something to whoever listen to him, and others don't. If the Reiza's folks think that some of this things make sense, good for them... otherwise, good for them as well.

Second, but not less important, a lot of people says a lot of useless stuff in a friendly or constructive way... a lot other lot of people says a lot of useful stuff in an mean or destructive way. That's why it's smart to pay attention to everything IN A NON PERSONAL WAY. Don't matter the reasons or even the tone... just if it have a base and it's build logically. As professionals that work developing content to people (or, basically to everybody, because everyone works to make something to someone elso), it's important to don't take it personal. NEVER TAKE IT PERSONAL!

Even if it's a video produced to "hurt" Reiza's staff, the best vengeance would be take something good out of it and leave the misery to the video's author. This is how you kill a vampire... just deny it's food. Don't bleed for bloodsuckers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Micropitt

You are spending a awful lot of time defending that video which makes me wonder if you are involved in the making of that video.
    Anyways, explain to me the rational behind the idea to post that video here in this Forum? I mean, nobody here is saying AMS2 is the perfect Sim and everybody here knows there still is lots of work to be done. The question just is, do we want to continue posting trashy videos or do we want to try helping the Devs to make AMS2 better?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. lawgicau

In defense of the OP I still think there is a fair amount of blind fanboyish stuff happening here. By the posts of some people you'd think the game was absolutely perfect.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Best left off I don't think you should get a penalty from being hit from behind this is not correct imo. been an issues for a while. Track cutting more often than not you now don't get one.

9. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Reiza should seriously consider removing this artificial slow down nonsense.. Ideally the race director should issue warnings, DT and time added penalties..

For me too it is the number 1 thing I dislike..

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. sci006

sci006 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yup really not liking the penalties..Definitely needs some refinement.

Car spins out in front of you (no contact, driver error). You need to take evasive action, so do you go off the track to miss him and get a slow down penalty or clip him as you go past and get a redress position penalty? (real examples)

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I was thinking the same exact thing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

Penalty system needs addressing asap really.
    !st place lapping a back marker, to avoid him ran on the run off area first corner Speilberg, slown down penalty given, bare in mind that i've already lost about 1 sec.
    So i slow down, brake, more slowing down, brake again, 10 secs lost of lead to 2nd that i had made over 15 laps, now he's right behind me again.
    How can this still be here from PC1.
    Please make this a priority fix...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Even the most fanboyish forum members still regularily post bugs and inconsistencies they found, myself included. Were there any points in this video that weren't already discussed here?

• Like Like x 3
  14. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think the consensus would be turn off track cutting penalties for now until they are more mature... perhaps, offer an option to turn them on/off to avoid the current frustration while keeping the ability to "test" and provide feedback on them as the penalty system continues to evolve.

15. steelreserv

The term fanboi is being thrown around a lot with regards to AMS2. I find it outright dismissive and unfair. Why? because I have seen no evidence that fans of AMS2 are supporting the game without acknowledging the problems or saying "its fine" or anything like that. We simply acknowledge the potential of this game and trust that Reiza will address the details as soon as they can. Reiza has earned my trust with the way they have engaged this community and with how communicative they have been. Was EA ended too soon? For the sake of argument, sure. Are there other reasons why they did this? probably. Is Reiza ignoring the bugs and flaws? No. They even fixed some of the things the video mentioned in just this latest patch.

If me thinking that the video is a piece of garbage, made in bad faith simply to take advantage of the situation makes me a fanboi, then so be.

If the YT content creator simply made and honest review, stating the bad and giving the good true credit, I might have subscribed, like I have done with other YT creators that I have never heard of.

But calling out this community as fanbois and Reiza as liars and lazy, just for views is the lowest of the low. It crossed the line.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. steelreserv

OP: " Hey look! Look at all these flaws!"
    US: We see them. There's a bug report thread.
    OP: But look at all these flaws! And like the video!
    US: We see them. Thanks! There's a bug report, like we just said. The video is made in bad taste though.
    OP: Thought Police!
    US: :confused:

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

It's a good compilation, despite being mean overall and unfair at some points.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Micropitt

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I actually agree that the facts presented are an accurate depiction of unfinished aspects of AMS 2. The style of presentation was not to my liking. Despite not wanting to give more publicity to the author, I left my thoughts as a comment under the video:

The facts you present are almost all spot on--AMS 2 has many unfinished aspects. However, your snarky tone and suggestion that the cause for this is laziness on the part of the devs demonstrates your lack of industry knowledge. Reiza has about 1/100th the resources that SMS did when they created PC and PC 2. In a few short months, all the really important physics-based idiocy from PC 2 has been squashed and/or replaced. Had Reiza instead focused their efforts on all the superficial (and glaringly obvious and annoying) UI issues and such, we would have had a polished presentation with PC 2 driving characteristics--a total failure. Who would want another PC 2, but with less licensed content? No one. Who wants something that looks like PC 2, but drives as well as rF2? Everyone who cares a whit about sim racing.

Every single complaint you raised is a well-known bug/feature and will get addressed. If Reiza had a large developer budget, they would have already done it. Supporting Reiza via AMS 2 and its relatively expensive season pass is a statement of faith in them (based on the miracles they performed with AMS) and a statement to the industry that small and relatively independent developers should be part of the mix, too. This same ethos applied to Kunos when they were developing their early titles...remember?

As a small dev, it is not possible to tackle 10 parallel processes at once and then have an entire separate team to integrate them all. They are grappling with the enormous task of figuring out how to get the best driving experience out of the Madness Engine--ironically something the creators of it didn't have the patience or skill or time to do. That is almost complete, so attention will then turn to the AI (long way to go, but already better than SMS versions), multiplayer and net code (long way to go, but already better than SMS versions), UI (long way to go), and maintaining the high quality of new content introductions for several years to come. It is slow and sometimes frustrating, but these devs are punching so far above their weight in the industry that your use of terms like lazy just reflects badly on you.

Your catalogue of unfinished details is a good one. People who want a supremely polished experience will have to wait a few more months. People who want a racing sim with superior physics and FFB, the widest possible range of vehicles to race--yes, everything from a rental go-kart to giant truck--on a decent variety of tracks that are excellent race locations, regardless of whether you have heard of them before or not, can buy AMS 2 now. And no one is forcing anyone to buy the season pass--if you aren't sure the content will be appealing or worth it, don't buy it. Every piece of DLC will be available for individual purchase and not packaged into ridiculous money-grabbing formats the way some other publishers choose to. And that's really the nub--this is a self-published title, not one backed by a giant multinational corporation. You decide if those sorts of titles add or detract from the industry as a whole and then think about the language you use in reviews such as this one.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. lawgicau

I know there is a setting for this but I've been racing each week on simracingSystem so the option is out of my control.
    The op was about a random lobby, however, of which most also don't have penalties off which kills participation.