1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - Does AMS2 drivers really want to race online?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by roszman, Feb 26, 2023.

1. roszman

roszman Well-Known Member

Yeah I think the AI is giving the most traction to RCO atm.
    I can't show AI skill in the AI name in game, but I can write the skill in chat and I can put such info on the website in the race history or smth. I will think about it.

So much cool ideas and only 1 hour per day for analysis and implementation :) and lately I am mostly on forum or discord, need to timebox it :p

Again, thx for great feedback.

• Like Like x 3
  2. roszman

posted by mistake :p

3. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

On the race sign up pages is it worth adding the grid size?

At the moment if noone is registered it looks like you will be driving round on your own.

It could say:
    Players registered: 1
    Total grid (AI): 10

• Like Like x 4
  4. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

Despite the multiplayer element being the biggest attraction for me I’m not surprised that the AI implementation has caused so many of your users to give positive feedback. It really is surprisingly good and alongside the RCO site offers something the game itself sadly doesn’t. At least for now.

I hope you didn’t take my comments from yesterday as heavy handed suggestions or even worse demands. It was posted late at night so perhaps I wasn’t as clear as I could have been. It was more me ‘thinking aloud’ and musing over what the future could hold for RCO - enthusiasm possibly took hold:D

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mike Shelton

Mike Shelton New Member

I stumbled upon this thread today. I signed up and ran 2 races tonight. This is AWESOME! The inclusion of AI, and specifically adaptive AI makes this so much fun. With AI this good along with a mix of human drivers, I'm hooked. I've primarily ran RaceRoom because of the adaptive AI, as I hate fiddling and trying to find that strength setting at every track, but I think it's safe to say I'll be taking my offline online at rco! Thanks so much for building this environment!!!

• Like Like x 4
  6. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

If I read the comments above, maybe adaptive ai is better than fix ai...
    Both has (dis)advantages.

• Like Like x 1
  7. roszman

You all already convinced me, I will think about improving asynchronous multiplayer - what a cool name ;)

I don't take any comment as heavy handed. Yesterday I was the only heavy thing(?).

Please keep the ideas coming, I wouldnt be able to figure any of those cool ideas without you guys.

• Like Like x 1
  8. roszman

Fixed AI has it's charm ;) but it wiil attract only people who match certain ai skill.

For now we need to figure out other obstacles for higher racing series. These can be:
    • Faster, more difficult car
    • More challenging weather
    • Pace and/or points requirements
    • Decent enough lap times (tricky to implement)

Sorry for being an ass yesterday :p keep the ideas coming.

• Like Like x 2
  9. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

Advantages adaptive ai:
    - great mid pack race experience vs. ai
    - easy to progress

Disadvantages adaptive ai:
    - no asynchronous multiplayer experience, because conditions for each driver are different, so you cannot compare/compete to each other async.
    - no "real" progress driven by skill, just invest time, adaptive ai is set to the level that you can finish mid field and gain points

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. roszman

With adaptive AI the gained points can be weighted by AI skill, the faster the AI the more points you get, then it will be relfected on season tables, in theory it should work in asynchronous multiplayer.

• Like Like x 3
  11. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

Perfect!:)
    Weighted points depending from ai strength sounds really cool and right about competition.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  12. roszman

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

Completed your survey.
    Unfortunatelly only 3 can be selected. I want them all, (I want them now). :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. roszman

15. Coldsalmon

Coldsalmon Member AMS2 Club Member

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. roszman

No way, cool :)

Edit
    I was scratching my head today wondering why RCO website had so much traffic yesterday, I got my answer :D.

If we can get discussion going on reddit then for sure RCO will get more drivers - 5 new members yeterday vs 5 new members during whole last week.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

@roszman
    Maybe it would give motivation a push if people could see also the events of tiers they cannot join.
    I am still rookie and I have no idea what events the bronze and Silber guys can drive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. roszman

Yeah, generally that's the plan ;) but lets see what survey will tell us ;)

If someone didnt vote yet, then here is the survey www.freeonlinesurveys.com/s/msmMOo2p

• Like Like x 1
  19. Coldsalmon

Coldsalmon Member AMS2 Club Member

Something I haven't seen mentioned directly, but it's implied from the discussion: the current standings computation method gives a disincentive to join races once you finish well. Since the adaptive AI will make the next race harder, I'm almost certain to hurt my standings by doing more races. So, the better you do, the more you are punished for racing again. This actively discourages race participation.

Separate question: what counts as an incident? It seems like going off the track significantly and having a bad collision are both counted as incidents, but you can do a little door banging without an incident - is that right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. roszman

You're reading my mind :D

Next race can be as tough as the one you did, or tougher, depends on your lap times.
    If you beat your lap record, than maybe next time AI will be faster. If you didnt then AI will be tha same.
    It also depends how well you know given track, are you able to beat AI, which is already adapted to you, on new track?
    Personaly I am improving my lap times during the week, so I get more points at the end of the week.
    It also depend on what's your goal, leaderboard or racing? :)
    I am not sure how to approach this problem and if it's real problem. More than one race per week required for your standing to becom official?

Yep something like that, but also if you have multiple track cuts during short period of time it counts as one incident.

• Like Like x 1