1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reaction to Ermin's Video

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by steelreserv, Apr 22, 2021.

1. F2020

F2020 Member

He's a sell out now imo and not worth watching.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Lucas Vieira

Lucas Vieira Member

Well, i must say i did not disagree with some things that he said.

As a Brazilian, and current owner IRL of a opala, i do love the game due the amount of brazilian content. In several updates, all the opalas (79-86-old stock) did not reflect the behavior of the car IRL in races and track days. Mostly of cars (including opala's) suddenly lost the grip at mid corner with a big drift and it was possible to recover as a Need for speed game, which doesn't happen IRL. Old stock cars spin out the wheels above 160 km/h in 3rd gear in a straight line, with "only" 297 hp. Its was like you are using old tyres or small tyres. Again, IRL this doenst happen.

After several updates, the car its pretty close to reality right now, with a small diferences, but its close.

My point is, the part he said Reiza need to stop making content and finished the actual content, i did not disagree

Reiza its doing an amazing job, but this kind of stuff, desmotivate several people. But i do have faith that Reiza its aware of the situation and doing their best.

And COVID times really slowed down the roadmap they were planing. This part most people forgot.

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 3
  3. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

This is fair, of course. But im sure that the ppl responsible for tracks, cars and physics are on separate development timelines and have experience with different disciplines. So you can’t just pause one area or shift personnel like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

I don't agree with this, but can understand why some people do.

AMS2 was always a long term project with a years long development roadmap, and Reiza have been clear about this from the beginning. It says so on the AMS2 website, their social media, development updates etc.
    And being only a year in to this roadmap, I don't think its fair to compare it to sims that are further along or completely finished.

Having said that, I think Reiza did make a mistake announcing the 'Version 1.0 release' a year ago. It was done probably, to justify the increase in price and bring in much needed revenue - but it immediately opened the door to criticism for 'releasing a game that still has issues and needs improvement'.

In a long term project like AMS2, labels like 'Early Access' and 'Version 1.0' are arbitrary, but can mislead people if they are not aware of the broader plans, with some negative outcomes.

5. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I meant, that Ermin stated in his video, that the physics of AMS2 are simplified and simcade because of the Madness engine, as if it is a fact, which is a lie. Not an opinion. This is pulling nights and days, full of hours of work by the devs through the dirt. (Regarding normal opinions, i have no problem with that...i even agree with some points, but the assumptions about physics are factually wrong and people watch this and take it for granted, which is quite sad.)

What were you referring to, are you sure, you wanted to reply me or was it maybe another post?:confused: (My opinion about the way of AMS2 is pretty clear and a bit biased toward the positive due to some things :D)
    EDIT: Ah yeah, i see...no i was just referring to the statements about the physics, not anything else...early in the morning here, had to inject some caffeine to get clear thoughts! :D

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

Once place I disagree with both Ermin and Steelcast is on default setups. In the last few months AMS2 has [for me] gotten to where I feel like I can take the default setup for any car and it will very driveable. A couple of spring/ARB tweaks and I feel like I'm pretty well set.

Now that may not be a perfectly-tuned setup that's going to win me races against Nemesis69, but it gets me to where I can comfortably race the car.

Now, obviously that doesn't mean certain things aren't hard. It's hard to get the throttle touch right on cars with massive horsepower and no traction control. It's harder to corner in cars without aero downforce. But setup doesn't really eliminate those fundamentals (although it of course helps one deal with them).

So, this is one obvious area where the game is much better than it was on Jan 1st, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

One other point--I much prefer the approach of sims like AMS2 with a wide variety of cars and tracks than the narrow approach of something like ACC that has one kind of car and a small number of tracks. I hope the trend will be toward sims like AMS2, Raceroom, rFactor2 etc. as opposed to ACC, F1, and Nascar Heat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Potato Player

Potato Player New Member

Ermin seemed very positive about the game five months ago:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

Firstly I’ll preface my opinion with the fact I have nothing against Ermin, I think he generally comes across quite well and his work is top notch. For me where the issues come in are, in my opinion, the obvious herd mentality which I believe are view/click driven and the use of hyperbole to drive opinions as facts for added effect.

Some of the points he made were perfectly salient, others were clearly false....or at least mistaken due to a lack of experience and knowledge of the game as it currently stands. I don’t know enough about the various engines to comment on this aspect but PC2 clearly had a significantly negative impact on the perception of the Madness engine.

It’s a shame, YouTube has many creators who start with some interesting, fun and passionate content delivered with integrity but all too often this gets eroded as subscribers increase and monetisation begins. For some this is an organic process, for others it appears to be the target. Either way it’s lead me to switch off from several over the years.

Hopefully he’s willing to keep an eye on AMS2 and be open to its progression. We’re still quite early on in the journey and I have no doubt whatsoever that any gap, perceived or real, will close significantly within the course of Reiza’s development.

Anyway, a nice rebuttal video. Calm yet passionate...and nice to put a face to the voice.

• Like Like x 3
  10. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

He is very positive on likes, views and subs. That is it. He doesn't care or really think about the impact of what he is saying on a small team of developers who have being working throughout a pandemic which has impacted everyone on the globe one way or another.

If you don't like this youtuber and don't want to support him, do not share, click or interact in any way with him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Potato Player

Potato Player New Member

Indeed, I was posting the video to highlight how he seems to flip-flop on his opinions to drive content.

The outro section of the video I linked has a very different (positive) tone to the latest one.

12. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Yes i agree that default set ups are far better these days.
    i don’t tend to change much at all outside of Arb and brake .
    There’s two reasons for this . i’ve found a regular default lobby in my prime time slot that’s very enjoyable.( ARJ Defaults) , So have to be able to know how the car behaves in default and i also like to compare my Time in TT mode vs other default to see where i’m at.

And second reason is i just don’t have the time available to experiment and do long runs in either practice or league races.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Potato Player

Potato Player New Member

Indeed, I was posting the video to highlight how he seems to flip-flop on his opinions to drive content.

The outro section of the video I linked has a very different (positive) tone to the latest one.

14. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Reaction to Ermin's Video
    Have I wasted my money and my time, many, many hundreds of hrs? NO
    Has it become better ? Yes
    Still stuff to fix? Yes but I can wait, they listen and fix even if longer than expected for some things
    Could we all make a video to slate stuff? Yes
    Could we all make a video to praise what we like? Yes
    Have I had good online races? Yes 95% online use and daily,
    Netcode np here.
    So Ermin wont put me off regardless. Even when I agree with some points and strongly disagree with other points.
    His Loss
    Have fun:D

• Like Like x 3
  15. Raceracerace

Raceracerace Active Member

Maybe Ermin ascribes to 'any news is good news'. I was surprised when he made a video on AMS2 again. I am sure he only did it for clicks.

Now seriously: "they've taken the handling model to the next level' done in a video of praise over 20 mins. In 15 mins he basically panned it 1 year later. Not believing it. I drove it back then too and it drove like it was on rails. "closer to rfactor" he said. Hmm, yes as its on rails. I am sure Rfactor2 is conforming to its tire model as a primary. This is why you can rig the rest and its still incredible! The new models capable within the madness engine given enough development time they do/can do as is being proven, are better, hands down. Its like freedom in motion; a few kinks left to iron out. I do not know how much this description lines up - but in those other sims you 'fall into' the driving line and the push-back on the wheel happens; then IF you hit the curve/turn and angle those tyres just right you get the advantage of grip, while using brake to arrive at the needed speed. In AMS2 its a little bit more like you make your own driving line and everything is in flux around you. So I see it as having higher potential or more accurate movement. No wonder the VR people like it so much. I was thinking that when I learnt from him actually, maybe, or lead dev, the replay system did not record each little increment. I think old games are on the replay level. They are designed to look good for camera's or show as a proof of concept that sim racing is legit AND if you watch his 'does it compare' video , you watch and it does compare, it looks the most legit... (all those devs and designers of all those sims should commended) - I think AMS2 and that madness engine are designed to 'feel' good. They are not a proof of concept of simming on modern machines which can compute this level of detail - thats assumed, its doing more with its higher fidelity. I remember looking at pre 2010 sims, and they were essentially such. Unable to replicate the design of the universe enough.

I'm pretty sure anyway this was the intent of purpose of the madness engine. Beyond eye candy. Its also decently extensible.

Well I see it actually struck a nerve in the community - a raw neve but it was struck nonetheless. The thing is I don't dislike the fellow or his video making skills - and he was taken down the other day by a relative unknown over AC, and now by steelcast, but the conceit of the video was not long in the discovering. If it didn't ring at least a little true (but still a fair bit off base and out of context and time period) no one would be discussing it - and so it did generate debate which is really good, as such video's are often designed to do, and in media etc if you travel those circles, debate is a good thing - discourse is real and you can help shape it. But in the end I am not going to choose between Rfactor 2, raceroom, AC and ACC, ermin/anyone - i probably want to play them all and I like them all. They're fun. Even f1 2019 sure. It doesn't need to replicate the Ferrarai down to the last bolt to make the grade. We are adults and we can jump in a car, go buy a motorbike again and jump down the track, do it in a car if you like - so many options. You can get a feel for it. So I do not want to only play the best game - and I think Ermin just has now for some reason the wrong kind of barometer about gaming in general.

I think we all chose enjoyment at least in part about the game, and this is why we get something out of it. I don't question how 'real' doom is, either. :) I don't! I do like the demonic art and all that and its a fun game; and I do not expect to see any demons materialise in front of me or on Mars any time soon. I do not play it enough but I understand its fun.

Because this was unfortunately Ermin's worst video. Had to say. It didn't really serve a purpose other than to pan AMS2 and that was not always on point. I wonder if it was just sitting there pre Christmas/new year and he thought better of it back then.

Edit: looking back in his vids he does 1 year ago wolcen lords of Mayhem? Is he a RPG type? got a lot of views there.

Before that just a couple hundred views. Got a bit of traction with AMS2. Pans AMS2 after panning project cars 3 and high views. Interesting.

Video: Automobilista 2 does it compare to the best vids in the world.

I see people are upset at the video recently - actually that one I saw from him before I had bought AMS2 - and its inclusion of bathurst was a main reason for me getting it ok, so there's that - but I saw the thumbnail and decided to buy more sim games. I was racing 92's Grand Prix from Microprose ages and ages ago. I had f1 2017, 18, 19, dirt 1, 2, 4 and dirt rally. And I bought AMS2 in among another 4 sims iirc. Including Pcars 2.

The thumbnail of the car moving a bit to the right then a bit of body roll to the left. I was thinking yes really should take a look at that game engine.

I felt the Pcars 3 video was a bit below the belt. I do not want to air personal grievance's - I mean anyone can do a not so good video. But I felt he panned a game too hard when its clearly not meant to be a sim game. AMS2 is not even meant to be finished.

And this is literally my only beef with the whole thing - I just wonder why it has to be a contest of 1, 2, 3. Isn't a person going to play them all anyway? This is true in the sim racing world where people spend 1500 or 2k or more on setups. They want to make use of them so they will buy several titles.

Hey, I do not mind flipping on f1 2019 and no you won't find me buying 20 or 21, I already own 3. Its not a 'sim' as such, but its fun. What you do with your wheel is your own business I am just saying I like to make use of the thing.

I just felt the video was a little snobbish or elitist. I am not sure, this genre does not have the luxury of throwing titles under the bus. I thought that was one of the guys tennants - but considering he was thinking about not doing the channel is it any wonder he just flipped on a dime like this? He kind of threw caution and reasoned debate to the wind.

Whilst I gave some analysis of the video on the video page itself I do not think he is a demeaning person... its a game after all - which cuts both ways - I am more forgiving of games. AMS2 can be engrossing. One has to be in the mood to do sim racing in the first place. F1 19 sold what a few million copies? Popularity does not equate perfection. Its fun. I have played the 19 version a total of 7 hours.

AMS2 300ish. My fiancee played about 60 of those I suppose/ or her swapping with me, maybe 80 or so and sometimes you cannot get her off the computer when driving.

I am just one of those people who knows what I wish for - if I made a mistake in wishing for something then thats that. I am sure AMS2 was good then bad then good. But the video beat down was actually too much. It did not resonate with people who play AMS2. I know he said it in the nicest possible way, but the video did him no favors.

The extent to which, its a video with a lot of views, and our opinions are our own, the most we can say and do is simply disagree with him. For example I do not agree with a lot he says about the other sims either - I don't mind watching people sim race a bit and he drives ok. As a talking head he does alright. But its not gospel.

I actually think AMS2 gives me the sense of when I was on motorbike a lot. There's niggles in the road, there's uncertainty's, there's a bit of adrenaline and focus - you need the skill in the moment and the skills you need are constantly in flux from your repertoire.
    I race with the helmet in the cockpit almost exclusively and I like the sound of the other cars in that mode. I like how the cars deteriorate much like in f1 2019 etc, and how the environment progresses and I like how you can overshoot and undershoot things. Sometimes I feel games like ACC (and this is not necessarily a bad thing) make it like doom, for example. They know you can beat the level as its designed that way; so they know that if you accelerate and turn at the right time you will 'do the course', just like in Rfactor 2 - you kind of 'work out the mod' against a backdrop of exceptional physics to a certain degree - in AMS2 its not like that so much even if you work out the car - its a more flexible system, or going from 2d chess to 3d.

Not trying to debase those games.

16. steelreserv

Sorry about that and thanks for clearing this up.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

All good mate :D

Keep up the great contribution! (Especially your setup work, related to telemetry seems to help many users and congrats to 1k+ subs :p )

18. steelreserv

Thanks! I have been overwhelmed with support and I think the reaction by the community is proof positive of what I mentioned in the vid. Everyone has been awesome and respectful and you guys on the forums are the heart and soul. Many people here have made fantastic contributions. Karsten, you and the other physics/differential guys like oez, azaris to mention a few. The energy is palpable.

The coming out party for ASM2 is near. I feel it.

For me, back to the basement and testing cars, one day in the sun is enough for me.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Kevin Peat

Kevin Peat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Ermin's video is just clickbait but I do question the development priorities a bit. Things like real weather / historic weather are fine but how many people really care about them. I really enjoy the driving in AMS2 but I find myself spending more time in other sims lately just because I want a decent MP experience. Netcode is way better than it used to be but where are safety ratings, official servers, regularly scheduled races, better server admin facilities and fixes for common MP bugs or any idea when these things might happen?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It won't put you off, nor me, nor the others who already appreciate the goodness in the game, but it could potentially put off:
    • new customers from buying it who might actually find it's a lot better than Ermin's video suggests;
    • people who have bought it but initially didn't like it much, so stopped playing it, and now may not bother trying it again based on Ermin's dismissal of the improvements that have been made (and those significant features that are still to come Automobilista 2 FAQ);

neither of which help Reiza nor the existing userbase hoping for more heavily populated online lobbies.

I said it in a reply on Ermin's Youtube video that I think we should be grateful we still have developers like Reiza who develop games based on their passion and desire to deliver a quality product, rather than focusing on ways of extracting as much money out of customers for as little effort as possible. There are many games (particularly sport franchises) where you are charged full price every year for a "new" game, when all you're getting is effectively a patched version of last year's game with updated rosters, not to mention the cynical micro-transactions that have become increasingly commonplace to eek more money out of customers .

It would be preferable that, rather than making videos criticising AMS2, particularly when his opinions are questionable (well done to Steelcast for your reaction video), Ermin focusses on something else.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1