1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trackir 5 and AMS2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by eSTee3, Sep 18, 2021.

1. eSTee3

eSTee3 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I have a question that goes out to all trackir 5 users and better-than-me google foo (ha-ya!) users....

When launching AMS2's SteamVR mode (in order to use trackir), I'm unable to modify any of the view settings for world movement. At this point, whenever I drive a track that has drastic pitching or banking (Daytona or Bathurst, for example), the car pitches and banks, while the view stays locked to the horizon.

What this produces is a feeling of complete disconnection from the car you're driving. I'm hoping that someone has a tips-and-tricks on using trackir and allowing for some portion of world movement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. eSTee3

With 60+ vies and no responses/solutions, I was afraid this would happen. I'm gonna do some more research on my own before giving up, so I'll post if I find anything. The thing I'm hoping to uncover is a way to adjust the settings .ini or something like that.

3. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

Sorry for the late reply. AFAIR this has already been talked about a few times in the past, but what you can do is this:

Run the game in normal (non-VR) mode and adjust the world movement settings. I'm not a 100 percent sure right now, but at one point VR mode could only use legacy mode, so keep this in mind when adjusting world movement (as legacy uses different mechanics AND reversed values).

Then exit the game and run in again in Steam VR mode - the settings will have carried over BUT you won't be able to see or edit them (world/head movement will always show as 0 and be greyed out in VR mode).

While this is means you need to exit and run the game twice just to adjust your settings it's at least a workaround for now.

That being said, to this day I don't like the way AMS2 deals with head/world movement. Like you, I hate that part of the solution was to lock the view (at least partially) to the horizon, and having the camera practically bolted to the game is no solution either (in fact, AMS2 is the only game where the camera shaking makes my head spin after a while, not to mention how hard it is on the eyes). For now I use Legacy 60, but it's a compromise at best and I'm still hoping for improvements as well as trying to find a better setting myself.

EDIT: These treads all talked about the TrackIR adjustment issues in one way or another:
    Cockpit movement while using Opentrack headtracking

World Movement stuck at 0 ?

Camera shake still a problem for TrackIR users requiring VR mode

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. eSTee3

@XTRMNTR2K... You sir, are a god among men!

So after reading through some of those threads, I have come up with my own perfect settings (49" 1800r monitor). Just as suggested, I've implemented these settings, while launching AMS2 in standard (non-VR) mode. After exiting the game, I just re-launch in SteamVR mode and BOOM!... All is right with the world...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. XTRMNTR2K

@eSTee3 Happy to hear I could help!

The fact that the game needs to be launched in Steam VR mode in order for TrackIR to work in the first place was carried over from Project Cars 2, as far as I am aware. If it was possible to get it to work normal mode instead, changing these settings would be much more comfortable. Maybe this kind of quality-of-life improvement can be implemented further down the road for AMS2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Denis_W

Denis_W Member

Old thread, didn't want to open another one
    I'm using Track 5 with Helmet Camera setting
    Could I use it with Cockpit Camera? Does it make a difference?
    Thank you

7. XTRMNTR2K

No, as far as I am aware only the helmet camera can be used with TrackIR. That being said, if you set the same FOV and seat position for the helmet and cockpit camera, there shouldn't be any difference (that is, unless you enable "show helmet" which shows a helmet overlay and muffles the sound).

• Like Like x 1