1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Fixed my issue with headlights and severe FPS dips in VR. Just brute forced it by upgrading to 4090 from 3080. Now run storm, night , you name it and maintain 90fps at front / back / wherever. TBH, I am quite surprised! Didn't expect to maintain 90fps everywhere under all conditions.

Also using OpenComposite/OpenXR with FFR.

One happy chappy

• Like Like x 1
  2. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Would be very embarrassing for Reiza if AMS2 did not run properly with a 4090. That can certainly not be called a fix. Reiza need to fix it by allowing us to reduce the number of rendered headlights, simple !

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

True, but given how badly it sometimes ran with a 3080 under those sorts of conditions.. I was still dubious. So, very relieved it all runs smooth now. Plus all my other VR Sims got a boost too. ACC, DCS, IL2, MSFS, DR2 and Star Wars Squadrons.

4. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

The jump from 3080 to 4090 is insane.
    Pretty much 100% of a jump lol. That’ll brute force through most things I guess.
    https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-4090-vs-Nvidia-RTX-3080/4136vs4080

I still have manage a few things, going from 1080Ti to 4070 last month.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

Agree, and even more embarrassing if you have to rely on third party tools like Open Composite to get 90 fps on a 4090 beast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Quick question: Does eye-tracking/dynamic foveated rendering work with AMS2+Varjo Aero?

7. Chip

^Any Varjo Aero owners that can chime in? Or has anyone even heard of it working or not working?

8. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I've only seen reports of it not working. OXRTK needs to be able to tell if the game is rendering the left or right eye, and that info doesn't come through for AMS2, unfortunately.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Chip

That's good to know! @Renato Simioni or @CrimsonEminence, is there anyway to enable this VR render "tag" to be turned on? Seems like it could be a pretty easy fix...or incredibly difficult...I don't know which it would be, but I will hope for the former rather than the latter!

10. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Anything coming through OpenComposite is going to be difficult to do in that respect. If Reiza were going to spend any time on VR, I think the priorities would be a native OpenXR interface and adding some option to limit the number of light sources to mitigate the headlight perf issues. With respect to OpenXR, OpenComposite is open source, so it shouldn't be too onerous to see and replicate what they've done, but I've no idea how messy the ME code is in that respect.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi, guys. Just posting some info of the testing I've done in VR with my old and new CPU:

Scenarios (all other specs are pretty much the same as in my signature, incl. 64GB RAM in both cases):
    Old: 5950x
    New1: 7950x3D (PC chooses, what cores to use, unfortunately it seems to use the high frequency cores)
    New2: 7950x3D (the cores without extra cache disabled. Basically this functions as a 7800x3D)

All settings max.
    Steam VR resolution: 150%

1st lap of Long Beach with a full grid of GTE cars at midnight, worst case frame times*:
    Old: GPU frame times: 16, CPU frame times: 12
    New1: GPU: 13, CPU: 9.6
    New2: GPU: 13, CPU: 7.6

1st lap of Long Beach with a full grid of GTE cars at midnight with thunderstorm, worst case frame times*:
    Old: GPU frame times: 22, CPU: 14
    New1: GPU: 20, CPU: 11.5
    New2: GPU: 16, CPU: 9

Overall during daytime races with AI scenario New1 vs Old has resulted in much less stutters and dropped frames, with just a few spikes up now and again in CPU frame times. With New2 the spikes up now and again in CPU frame times are almost completely gone. Everything is buttery smooth. This is a significant noticeable improvement. I totally recommend the 7800x3D CPU or the 5800x3D.

* I have just been eyeballing these numbers from fpsVR on the fly (an application bought from Steam). Frame time 11 ms will give you 90 fps in VR. Anything over that and the fps drops significantly and looks really bad.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

that's an interesting topic and would love to know as well.

Can it be that with the way ASW works when its ON like in your case, that Performance reporting is actually not accurate anymore but only is when ASW is actually OFF?
    Just guessing from a very VR and QUEST2 noobie here

13. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Talking about QUEST2 and AMS2, to get the best experience possible in this Game until REIZA devs allow full use of Opencomposite

Please VR Experts correct the points where needed

1. Opencomposite launcher and set to Open XR as applicable for other SIM upload_2023-6-10_13-5-19.png
    2. Set both Exe in W7 compatibility mode upload_2023-6-10_13-4-55.png
    3. Launch Oculus software and set runtime as following upload_2023-6-10_13-5-53.png
    4. Launch Oculus Debug tool and set as per your preference and HW potential upload_2023-6-10_13-6-24.png
    5. Launch OpenVR Toolkit to take advantage of features like FOV rendering and FSR upload_2023-6-10_13-7-7.png
    6. Launch from Stem in Oculus mode
    upload_2023-6-10_13-21-13.png
    voila again, they might sound like noobie confirmation needs so advice appreciated

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  14. jtortosen

jtortosen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Tomorrow I will try, thanks.
    Info: 3600 ryzen and 6800XT 16GB.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

cool I am curious to hear about your experience indeed:cool:
    I am really a noobie with VR and all the tweakings surrounding PCVR Games optimization so it might not be fully correct what I do but hey:D you need to start from somewhere:p
    good luck:)

• Like Like x 1
  16. jtortosen

jtortosen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I tried lot of combinations but exactly yours nope. I couldnt get into work open composite in substitution with oculus runtime so the whole process make it interesting. It works for you?

Im charging the quests 2 right now. XD

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Thats where the Experts should jump in to confirm
    My experience in AMS2 is quite good with this method but i have also a pretty good hardware with 5800x3d and 6800xt AMD gear

I uderstand that opencomposite can not use the full potential of openxr in the Game as the devs have not unlocked the possibility in AMS2 code which is a pity

Good luck!

18. Adam-80UK

Adam-80UK Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Anyone know if water spray clipping in to the car in VR will ever be fixed? It's very immersion breaking.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Which cars are those ? I drove a few in the rain and didn't experience it clip into the car itself. I recommend you write all of them into here:
    Bug Reports - Automobilista 2 (Read the Opening Post)

20. Greg Latty

Greg Latty Member AMS2 Club Member

Sparks look a little weird in VR too. Like its only rendering in one eye or something.

• Agree Agree x 2