1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

In changelog of today’s latest update they added a few more tracks with VR-trackside-cameras, but for me all those VR trackside cameras never worked and still don’t work properly.
    They don’t switch to the next cam automatically to follow the car. Sometimes even the manual +/- keys on the numpad don’t work. A workaround in that case might be to switch to another camera (hood cam for example) and immediately back to trackside cam and then you get the right cam (at least for a few seconds until the car is out of sight)....

Although they said they eliminated the annoying depth of field effect for trackside cameras in VR in one of the last updates I still get a blurry picture when I choose a cam where my car is not in the focus or if something else is directly in front of the camera (a fence or a track marshalll...).
    I hope they will fix this one day.

Also the showroom is unusable for me because the automatically moving camera is making me nauseous. I would prefer if I could move the cam on my own wherever I want and then look around with my head in VR...

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Brainbug

Brainbug Inside Virtual Reality AMS2 Club Member

@Mike1304
    About the vr cams not working.... I had some builds ago same prob. Here is what helped me.
    One thing you can try, and one side info:

thing to try:
    delete your Automobilista2 folder in your documents directory (keep in mind that you will have to setup up everything ingame again. Also replays and your saved car-setups are in that folder, so maybe do not delete, but move or rename that folder.

Side info:
    There seems to be a difference in replays at end of race (saved replays) and the replay when you pause the game while you are ontrack and hit the replay button.
    The last one I mentioned do also not work for me and is as you described: + - do sometimes work, mostly not, cam get stuck,....
    BUT
    saved replays do work great for me. + - working, auto-switch working, ...

try out :)

BTW
    @Renato Simioni
    the vr cams are great! Very nice „flow“ in head-movement:
    You follow the car with your head movement, look from left to right, the next cam „catch“ the car right in your latest head position (in this case right), going from Right to left, next cam again catch left... so result is a nice flow with you head following the car from left, right, left, right. Very cool. :cool:
    Keep it coming for the next tracks. THANX :p
    Only thing I can think of to improve is maybe to get closer to the car sometimes (I do not mean cam zoom, but cam position). Sometimes the cams are placed to often like in real life, which is on one side a good thing, but looking to often through fences is a bit sad when we are in a sim, where you do not have to fear you life to place cams like you would never be able in real.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mjmbult

mjmbult New Member

Hello, for some reason i have no hud in my VR. I can see the hud showing up on my monitor but it stays blank in vr. I am using the Lenovo Explorer vr headset. I mapped a button to switch between hud layout but like i said; it only shows on my monitor. Hopefully someone can help me. Thank you

4. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

After playing a lot of acc Ive come back to really appreciate the immersion of ams2. Downloaded the Nurburgring yesterday and had my most immersive simracing experience ever racing gt3s around untill it got too dark to really see (but Ive made another thread for that).

In acc I had to change a lot of settings and make changes in the engine.ini files (as some of you are probably familliar with) and I was wondering if theres such a thing/file for ams2?

Im using a Reverb G2 and my system has a 3080 with a 5600x, both slightly OCd and 32GB of 3200mhz of RAM and even though the game is looking pretty good already, with a lot of settings on ultra and a pretty solid 90fps most of the time I figured it never hurts to ask.

Ive already found a couple of lines on these forums that Ive added for sharpness but I still think the image is a bit fuzzy sometimes.
    Theres also a some visual bugs with shadows even on the highest setting but other than that I really like how this sim looks.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  5. Koala63

Koala63 Member

Hi all. Seeking help with greyed out wing mirrors in online races. It used to be just me, but recently my other online friends with VR are starting to have the same problem. I've been through all the mirror setting options without luck. I've posted on the general Forum, but perhaps this is a VR specific problem, so I posted in this thread too. I race exclusively in VR, so I'm super keen to get on top of this bug. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

PS. This bug never occurs for the host. But if we swap hosting between three VR users, each guest can randomly lose mirrors on joining.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Smoove

Smoove New Member

Hey guys new to AMS2 and VR. I have been trying to tune AMS2 but am struggling. I have a Valve Index, 3080, 9900k & 32gb of 3600 mhz ram. VR has been proving difficult to dial in and I am unsure if its just the nature of the beast or if maybe I have other issues. I have copied some other users settings that are on lesser hardware and I seem to have worse performance than they report. Anyone with similar hardware willing to share their settings and any tips and tricks to help wrangle this thing in?

7. Magus

Magus Member AMS2 Club Member

I had that with 3 x Reverb G1's just before the image would completely go and I could only hear audio. I'm currently on my 4th G1, still wouldn't swap it for another headset though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pedro Ferreira

Pedro Ferreira New Member

Currently i´m in my second, the third came with that problem, "the screens are turning completely black intermittently. Sometimes one eye and sometimes both eyes". Tomorrow i will receive the fourth, just praying that it will be the final one. G1, not G2. I have also, 2 new cables, that HP have send me, one of them by mistake. They are really good, but never had a product that worked 100% only for some months, if not for HP, until now, good service with me. They usually take 3 to 4 days to send a new one.

9. Brainbug

Brainbug Inside Virtual Reality AMS2 Club Member

Just to get sure, when you speak about „screens in vr headsets get completely black for some seconds“... you speak about general behavior, right?
    I mean, you tested it with different games and it do happen whatever game you play, right?

i just ask, because getting sometimes black vr screens in ams2 is not hardware related. I also experienced it from time to time.

10. Gazzawesty

Gazzawesty Skunkedup AMS2 Club Member

I use the rift s and lately I'm finding that I lose sound while in vr.. Sometimes it comes back other times not. When it doesn't come back I take off my visor and the TV image is black and I have to force close the game to get it back. I use an amd 580 if that helps.

11. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Same, I ended up on my 3rd Reverb G1 and finally fixed it by going to the Reverb G2. Now the G1 sits as a backup just in case. :D

12. week

week New Member

If you are talking about HP Reverb G2, try updating the firmware. It's something related with the audio. You can also try lowering the volume.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. week

week New Member

Any tip for shadow flickering? It's very annoying, because I can run the game pretty well, but the shadows of the trees are very annoying.

14. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

turn up the shadow quality

15. MasterLooser

how much other monitors have u running while playing in vr, every monitor u have has to be rendered by the gpu + the 2 screen in ur headset. if u have multiple monitors unplugging/disabling one might do the trick for you.

should look at the gpu/cpu usage and try to find out where the bottleneck is.
    turning down the games resolution (the mirrored stuff u see) could also help when running the game in fullscreen as ur monitors resolution will be low and thus need less gpu.

obviously u can turn down the games settings to gain a bit more but i notice barely any difference between all on low and almost everything maxed out, i get the same drops with either settings (with drops i mean below 90fps (i am on a vive), not any mad drops to an unplayable state)

16. Smoove

Smoove New Member

I have 2 other monitors, One 1920x1080 and a 3840x1600 ultra wide. I guess I could turn both off when i go into VR and see if I notice a difference. I believe I have the in game resolution set to 1920x1080. I assume this is for what is rendered on my main monitor. I dont really see any bottle necks is the issue. In fpsVR my GPU usage hovers around 50-60% and my CPU is always lower than 30% even looking in HWMonitor no single core ever maxes out causing a discernible bottleneck. I have even had issues in other games where in 144hz I get 135 or so FPS average so I drop to 120hz because if im averaging 135fps i should be able to maintain a steady 120fps. Then in 120hz I get 116FPS average and that trend continues on down as I keep stepping down in refresh rate. It's really odd behavior.

As for you being able to run mostly max settings what do you have MSAA at? I cant run above medium without sub 80fps average.

17. MasterLooser

i think mine is on medium too, my hive has a max framerate of 90fps if i recall correctly so cant really help you :D

18. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

Ive been running ACC with the monitor turned off (actually it just kinda freezes on the opening screen) to see if I get better performance, but I havent noticed any significant changes using a 49inch 3840x1080 (32:9) resolution/aspect ratio.
    Difference might be bigger with 4K monitors tho...

19. MasterLooser

with disabling i meant completly unplugging, the difference isnt massive but if u are struggling to stay above vsync, reducing the stuff thats processed by the gpu might help

20. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Does anyone know why there is a difference? Technical reason?
    The length of the instant replays is limited for example. Is there a way to increase this length, so that I could rewind to the start of the race and not only a few laps back?
    Why is it limited when the information exists anyway, otherwise we would not be able to watch/save the whole replay at the end of the race?