1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 December 2022 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 26, 2022.

1. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

Don't forget Mexico as 6th track with historical layout.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Gillish

Gillish Member

This is interesting also from an input-delay point of view, I didn't know AMS2 had a built-in framerate limiter!
    I was using the Radeon driver FPS-limiter (at 120fps) before which works fine, however as I understand it in-game FPS limiters are usually best to get the lowest possible input latency, also when compared to RTSS or driver-based framerate limiters. Do you have any idea if this holds for AMS2 also?

I just tried the ams2-framerate cap and it seems a little less stable than the Radeon driver cap in terms of frametimes, and also it's not super accurate (I get 10 fps less than what I set the cap to. Which is not a big deal with a freesync monitor). However, subjectively I thought the input lag might be a little lower than with the 120fps driver cap. Could be just placebo tho, don't have the equipment to properly test that. :) Just see-sawing the wheel and eyeballing how the sync is between screen and the wheel in my hands.

3. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

that's a Mk 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

any news about the off road content yet? been rather quiet on that front recently

• Like Like x 3
  5. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

There's enough possible content for more than one extra part... Ovals should be given their own DLC...

Mid Ohio, Road Atlanta and Sebring are too important to be left out in favour for any oval, even one with rovals that was used by sportscars... As those are the biggest races left out for me...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Do you mean the Adrenaline Packs? There are wishlist threads for cars and tracks, and those threads contain some speculation. And we know that "Adrenaline is almost as big as Racin' USA".

No specific content has been teased. Reiza mentiond in their Facebook Q&A years ago that they would like to include Stadium Supertrucks, but they would need to acquire a license.

7. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That is a stupid and completely unnecessary box to put what could be (and as far as we know is) the final Racing USA DLC.

-Mid Ohio, (my local track) is fantastic, and would love to see it in AMS 2
    -Road Atlanta, I personally don't like it as much as Mid Ohio, but totally understand its historical appeal of the track.

Would happily over look both for the opportunity to complete 3 of the biggest achievements and challenges in racing in 1 sim. Also should the next DLC include a Nascar inspired Stock car like everyone thinks it does, Pocono and Charlotte make a lot more sense.

Its also worth mentioning Mid Ohio has a chance to show up in a Extreme pack along with surfers Paradise because of the Stadium Super Truck connection. We know Reiza wanted a licence, so we can connect at least a couple of the official tracks would show up, and what better pair to get given the other content in sim than Mid Ohio and Surfers?

Now that I think about it, Charlotte has also held Super Stadium truck races haven't they? So maybe the optimal solution (which I doubt is going to happen) would be.

Racing USA pt 4
    Sebring
    Road Atlanta
    Pocono

Nascar inspired stock car
    Imsa GTO/GTU styled cars

Extreme Pack 2 or 3
    Charlotte
    Mid Ohio
    Surfers Paradise

Stadium Super truck

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steve Young

Steve Young Active Member

9. jmac_the_man

jmac_the_man Active Member AMS2 Club Member

There's not really a NASCAR Triple Crown. NASCAR has 4 Crown Jewels - you'd have to add Darlington to the list.

10. Scar666

3 of the biggest challenges? Without this forum I wouldn't of been aware of either charlotte or pocono having any major significance...

Road Atlanta and Mid Ohio have a lot more international and historical significance to the content already in game...

It's a smarter decision to keep ovals and any generic NASCAR together as that will sell better than a mixed bag of a DLC where there will be an audience who doesn't want the oval tracks and doesn't bother with the DLC, whilst NASCAR fans will want the ovals instead of the road courses... That way it makes far more sense to the end consumer...

I sincerely hope that the extreme pack isn't the only place I can buy Surfers or Mid Ohio in... As I'd want the actual circuits not the versions for the stadium trucks that I have zero interest in...

11. Dylan Hale

But thats the point right? They aren't just going to give you the version with ramps all over it, they're going to give you the actual track layout too to use with the actual race cars.

Otherwise, I don't think anyone would be too interested in the Stadium trucks except as a novelty

I still disagree with you about the ovals though. To split them would be stupid, especially when it makes perfect sense to have them thematically in a Retro Imsa/Nascar DLC. Its not like these circuits don't have Road courses that were used in real life as part of the road racing championships for years for you to use if your not into the oval racing half of it.

12. jmac_the_man

jmac_the_man Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Of games that are the same genre that AMS2 is, AMS2 has the best simulation of oval racing ever released in history.

To make that statement, I'm drawing the "genre" narrowly. Games that are the official game of NASCAR or IndyCar don't count. iRacing, which is a nearly entirely online experience, doesn't count.

But AC/ACC, RFactor2, R3E? They can't really do oval racing right. Their historical predecessors, going back to GTR2, can't really do it. isiMotor can't really do ovals. The Madness Engine couldn't really do it in PCars2 or launch era AMS2.

Ovals in AMS2 aren't perfect. But they're better than anything else in this kind of a game.

Even though there's never been good oval racing in this kind of a game, NASCAR fans still buy games in this genre. Plenty of NASCAR fans bought AMS2 assuming that ovals wouldn't actually get better than they were in PCars2, but they bought the game so they could drive on the road courses. Any NASCAR fan who's also a simracing fan races on plenty of road courses in almost every game they play.

Also, NASCAR fans - simracers and not - have been clamoring for the real series to run at more road courses and NASCAR has been adding places like COTA, Road America, and a street course in Chicago.

I don't think you're going to see NASCAR fans turn down a DLC because it has too many road course in it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Dylan Hale

Especially if said DLC includes a Nascar Stock Car.

IDK, this whole discussion just seems overly tribalistic to me...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Dylan Hale

So Nascar history lesson, in the 1990's Darlington was one of many races Nascar wanted to cut out of the schedule like North Wilkesboro. They saw it important to build new speedways in new markets to continue the growth of the sport, and saw these old tracks as relics holding the sport back.

So when Indy got added to the Nascar schedule, it took the Southern 500's place on what was the Nascar Triple crown...
    Pre Indy
    Daytona 500
    Southern 500
    World 600

Post Indy
    Brickyard 400
    Daytona 500
    World 600

However, Kurt Bush and Ricky Craven had their incredible finish in 2003 which reignighted the track's popularity. By 2009, the Cookie Cutter Speedway boom had died off, and Nascar was turning downward in line with the recession. 2015 the Southern 500 became Nascar's throwback week, and rejoined the other races as part of Nascar's Must Win races.

Today, (as of the death of the Brickyard 400) the Nascar Crown is 5 pointed and looks like this
    Daytona 500
    Southern 500
    Coke 600
    Bristol 500 (Not the dirt one)
    All Star Race/Clash at the Coliseum. (We are just going to pretend the Texas years didn't happen.)

15. Dylan Hale

• Like Like x 2
  16. Scar666

It doesn't make perfect sense to mix it up when Reiza have already set the standard that ovals get their own DLC, so if there's plans for more ovals in the future it would be the smart business decision to keep them all in the DLC parts... It would also be a far smarter business move to have a retro IMSA themed pack by itself... More DLC, more content...

Sure Daytona was part of the DPi and GTE release, but that's because that road course is so closely connected to the DPi and endurance racing in the states, the oval was just a nice little add on to it...

It's not like the ovals are like the Super Trucks and are just taking up HD space for no reason here, I'd buy the oval pack, but I want the retro IMSA pack far more...

Plus there's no guarantee that Reiza will be able to tick all of the boxes needed to have a NASCAR, even in a generic form like we saw with the Formula_USA_2022, old or new, alongside more US tracks... It might be a lot easier and therefore quicker to get Rockingham, Lausitzring, Calder Park or Motegi licensed or indeed safer to Kansai a version than it could be to obtain licensing or make generically named versions of US based tracks... And if they can't even get 1 of the US ovals a pack with ovals of international origin will give AMS2 more oval content... Then they could add the Brazilian NASCAR (New sprint car) to the pack...

I do see your point about the Adrenaline pack, and the super trucks are extremely niche hence their popularity dropped off in real life, I myself watched one race had a laugh at some of the incidents and then never tuned in again... Without a season pass for them I doubt I'd own them if they weren't connected to something I'd want... However with anything I really want within them being still be accessible online so any DLC I purchase from the Adrenaline pack will ultimately be more of a donation to Reiza than me buying content that I want...

I'd be far happier paying for Mid Ohio and Surfers as premium track DLC or as part of packs outside of the Adrenaline series... Like an Aussie based DLC...

As the Super Trucks are such a niche part of motorsports I would prefer that tracks that are already in AMS2 are used for the Super Trucks... Mainly so that Reiza doesn't waste time building new tracks just for the super trucks, allowing more time for bug fixes and other DLC... Sure that means there's no new tracks in those DLC's, that isn't a bad thing overall for me as it doesn't change my interest... However the trade off between time spent building a new track and adapting a existing track for the Super trucks is well worth the benefits it could give the rest of the simulation...

Just from my experience with different leagues over the past decade and a half I can tell you that you are very much mistaken... There's tonnes of NASCAR fans that do not want anything to do with road courses... Otherwise the road course rounds would be as populated as the super speedway rounds, which is never the case from my experience, even when the road courses have good default set ups developed for them it's still half the field in attendance... There's a lot of drivers who don't like to brake or turn right unless they are pitting...

And on the flip side of that there's drivers who just don't do any oval racing whatsoever...

Even if both sides of the coin have dwindled in their numbers over the years, there's still a healthy population of both which makes the smart business move to keep ovals in their own DLC just as Reiza has done to date...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Renan G Flores

Renan G Flores Active Member

Good night Renato. Question: will Racin' USA 3 receive any car?

18. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Adrenaline pack with current suitable "adrenaline" content from AMS1 would be an easy win....

I mean Tikky with Cross Karts was a lot of fun and if I imagine it with new physics I think it will be even more fun...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

cross kart will be awesome!!

20. Scar666

And also has an oval which could be put to use...