1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.5.5.0, Le Mans & Endurance Pack Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.5.6

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 31, 2023.

1. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

Hello, there is the “Rallycross” preset for a quick race forcing the AI to perform the Joker lap. Is there the same thing for championship mode? because the AI does not perform the Joker lap during an RX race?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't think there is such a thing, as of right now.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't believe so currently, given rallycross is still a bit limited at the moment. If you play MP, it still will register that a joker lap has been completed, but it won't penalize skipping the joker for players or AI unless the preset is used.

IMHO, rallycross still needs some improving, whether fixing AI behavior, implementing useful features/rules, or correcting some inaccuracies with certain tracks (Barcelona and Hockenheim specifically). Ideally, some form of heat race/bracket system would be nice, but I doubt we'll ever see it given how low the popularity of this format is. It's a shame though, given a few leagues have tried it in MP and it was good fun.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

Thank you for the answer. I hope Reiza implements this in the future as it seems necessary to me.

5. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

In the last few days, I've been back and forth between AMS2 and rF2, with Le Mans/McLaren 720s GT3 combo.
    I was somehow impressed with the similarities, how identical cars behaved.
    I'll point out where I think AMS2 is still behind, because there's no point to talk about rF2's shortcomes here - they also have a forum for that :).
    Here's my findings...
    • Physics
      • rF2 car sticks to the ground better, until it doesn't... This is the well known difference in the grip ramp between the two sims. AMS2's 720s can be driven (much) harder until it looses composure but I feel both sims start loosing grip in the same points, same circumstances, the same way. On the other hand rF2 requires more finesse, more precision, but still admites controlled slides and such. Last AMS2 'small' update in tyre parameters shortened the distance by a lot, but cars still reluctant to loose the rear (even when we deliberately try to do so, like there's some kind of ESP is ative on the car).
      • AMS2 still needs some work in car contacts, to be credible. A rear bump at Porsche Curves does nothing to the other car while in rF2 the momentum transfer between the cars in obvious and with evident results o_O.
    • AI
      • AMS2 is unequivocally making big progress release after release but the aggression setting behaviour should be changed. An agressive driver doesn't move away from the racing line unless he already lost position. AMS2's AI starts to move away as soon as we are close behind, opening the door even further. It also moves away from a risky, poorly calculated move from us, facilitating the overtaking in an unrealistic way (like they have all-around eyes:rolleyes:). This should be left to the lower aggression settings and mid-to-high levels should make this more and more difficult.
      • Sudden lateral movements are a give away we are fighting an AI, despise all other good actions. rF2's AI is much more refined in this area and, given the results from car contacts, makes us more respectful (should I say, fear them more? :)) when fighting them.
    • Feeling
      • FFB is still better in rF2, more tense, allowing more precision, less sliding, but with a custom FFB file, anyone can make whatever they want in AMS2, so... not really a complain. What I can say is 'feeling' is vastly subjective not only between different persons but even for the self - with better FFB or sounds, the cars do feel different. That's why I spend much time testing GT3 "dull" cars these days - if they can feel good, anything can! (my FullFFB v11 tries to replicate rF2 because... it feels better to me).
    • Sounds
      • I really like the more pronounced sounds from other cars in rF2 - we should be able to hear 1-3 cars next to us, the rest should be more like a background noise. If AMS2 could amplify 2-3 cars nearest to us, it would be great.
      • AMS2 sounds are globally good, but lack high frequencies and, especially, more layers (example: one layer for lateral and one for longitudinal components of a sliding tyre, off-racing-line multiple dirt layers of sounds, offroad sounds, etc.). rF2 isn't much better, but the tyre sounds are incredibly good.

• Informative Informative x 12
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Speaking of AMS2 sounds, can someone confirm for me that when dipping the right side tyres on sand and coming back on track, the resulting sandy sound of particles hitting the wheel well or bottom of the car comes from the left side?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Comparing ams2 with rf2 makes no sense. Ams2 will always remain Ams2 and rf2 will always remain rf2. Every Sim has its strengths and weaknesses. Trying to do it like rf2 will never work and will always fail. In addition, no one here wants a copy of rf2, I certainly don't. If I want rf2 then I go to the original, and that's exactly what I do with Ams2

• Disagree Disagree x 10
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Joaquim Pereira

Comparing a motorcycle with a car makes sense - what best suits my purposes considering people transportation needs, baggage capabilities, agility, fuel consumption, parking possibilities and cost, driving pleasure,... many people do this everyday on earth.

Comparing two cars makes sense, comparing two color TVs makes sense, comparing AMD with Nvidia makes sense, why shouldn't comparing two sims make sense?
    We compare sims with real life car racing all the time!!

Besides, my point is how close both sims are and what I would change in AMS2 (because I've seen better elsewhere, so I know it's possible). And rF2 has a BIG development time compared to AMS2. Happy?

ps - should we add rF2 to the list of those whose name should not be pronounced? Jesus, we are in XXI century.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

I personally think that comparing makes a lot of sense instead.
    Also in engineering development, comparison (benchmark) and analysis of competitors' solution is key to succeed on the market.
    The conclusions coming from such comparisons are something to debate for sure, but not the comparison itself, in my opinion.
    In my view, as example, I find AMS simulating platform much more responsive to setups, much more lively and dynamic than all other sims. But, on the other side, I find AMS2 default setups too much stiff and oversteery(At least compared to rf2 and iR, regarding gt3), which I don't like.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Well then have fun with rf2 and your attempted copy;)

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

What was your traction control setting for this car? I have found since the latest "small" update that the GT3's are far better at conveying loss of grip in the rear such that I have actually spun when using TC of around 1 or 2. I never spun previously despite others claiming they used to spin... I never did even when trying. It just always seemed to self-correct. But now it is miles better (I typically drive the Mercedes and BMW though), but I turn TC right down because otherwise I struggle to get the power down as it kicks in too early.

12. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Really? Or do you mean AMS1?

I am far from being setup proficient, so my opinion isn't of great value on this matter, but I feel like AMS2 setups are noticeably less responsive than rF2, iRacing and AMS1.

I see you mentioned GT3, so I want to make it clear I'm referring to open wheelers which is the type of car I race the most (by a huge margin).

PS:
    • Not saying that AMS2 setup changes are not responsive, but it feels like I need to change a lot more than I would need in the other sims.
    • Also not saying AMS2 is wrong and the rest is right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

At least I have the same suspicion.
    But its difficult to prove that this is a fact.
    But but if this is a case then I also feel that this is dependent of which param in a setup we are talking about.;)

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

Referring to AMS2, and to gt3s mainly (also gr. a, gr. C, porsche cup, super v8).
    I have used mainly ac , pc2, iR and rf2 for the last 7 years, and I feel single clicks in spring slow bump (for example) in AMS2 whilst on other sims I felt it was like a grey area between a nuance and placebo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

True. I feel ride height, spring slow bump, toe-in and arb (and lsd) very well responding to 1-2 clicks (again on tintop vehicles mentioned above)

16. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I can suddenly remember from my former iRacing 5+ years membership that it was common knowledge that in the Nissan GTP the rear roll bar was 100% placebo.
    Everybody did know it :p

17. Horia M

Horia M Reephur

Didn't Renato mention recently that some of the AI behaviour - including specifically defending when alongside them - has been turned way down these updates so they can gather more concrete data? It's a shame, since it means the AI is slightly lobotomised right now and not performing as they should. Hopefully we'll see them back to their full extent in a next update.

18. RDG

RDG Active Member

Coming from some real life experience, I'd have to agree that the audio in AMS2 is a bit 'flat'. I mostly miss curb/kerb noise (depending on the type of course), braking squeel and random rubber/stones hitting the wheel arches, and the engine noise needs a bit more echo/reverb. It's not bad though, just needs something extra.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Joaquim Pereira

I usually use ABS=1 and TC=1, both in the LOW setting.
    I agree, and mention it in my post, about the HUGE improvement the recent version had, but when I compare with other sims (rF2 been the one I know better) I feel they resemble better my real life driving experience - it's fine to push the car, sliding around with control, but once we pass the limit, the hells runs free. AMS2 has a way to stop the rotation on it's own, when we should expect it to continue to increment faster and faster.
    Both in AMS2 and rF2, the 720s GT3 starts oversteering and understeering the same way in Porsche curves, but the end result is different - I have to be careful in rF2, not so much in AMS2.

This behaviour was always present, bullying AI is easy, making races easier. And is not a matter of "just don't do it", I need to be punished for my mistakes.:p
    A typical case: you send it hard, braking way too late, and the AI sees you behind and gives you space so you don't crash. This also happens in straights, we can push/force AI outside the racing line. An algorithm I would try on higher agression settings: the AI should only "see" us and react giving space when our bumper in align with rear axle; next level: when we are door-to-door; next level: only when our car is slightly in front. I want AI Verstappen's level :).
    This is important because, the way it is, we can take a lot of risks, AI will accommodate our mistakes.

I had limited real life racing cars experience, 20 years ago, but it stuck to my head the random rubber/stones hitting the wheel arches you mentioned (and the smell of burned rubber... :whistle:).
    Those layers really make ACC the king in that regard. It doesn't matter what "professional drivers" may say, I know what I felt. Maybe their minds just ignore that useless, futile information (our brains do that!). And in sims, like in the movies, it doesn't need to be 'real', it only needs to appear and feel like a real thing. The night doesn't have blue tint like in the movies, but we get used and it convinces us better it's night time that way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  20. WALLACE ALMEIDA MARINHO

WALLACE ALMEIDA MARINHO Active Member

When will we see Motorcycles in Automobilista 2? hyperfighter-colossus-1.jpg

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1