1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.5.5.0, Le Mans & Endurance Pack Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.5.6

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 31, 2023.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

How can these be set to "LOW" if you are using "Authentic" settings?

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Because "Authentic" driver aids still allow the player to toggle through the "artificial" driver aid levels, just like it has always done since v1.0.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Matus Celko

Matus Celko Active Member

I think that behavior is down to the sharpness of the slip curve, and also how drastically the tyres loose grip when the contact patch is overheated.

Because rotation doesn't increase on it's own, as the natural state of things is that rotation should remain constant (newton's first law), if you want it to increment it you need to apply force to the car. The only real way you can do it, is if you keep turning, increasing the yaw speed. But if you counter-steer, the rear tyres still have friction, so they should stop the rotation (on their own).

While you're steering into the corner, maintaing constant speed and steering angle, the change of rotation speed is affected by rear tyre grip, if they loose grip quickly with higher slip angles and higher patch temperatures, you have less time to react before your rotation speed exceed your ability to stop it in the end.

As generally you spin not because the rotation incremented, but becasue you cannot apply enough force to stop the rotation. Once your yaw exceeds your steering angle (for counter-steer), you're done. No matter how fast you're rotating on that point. But while you're countersteering, the car should be able to dissapate the rotation energy by it's own, just by rear tyre friction. RF2 tyres have very little friction once the contact patch is overheated, thus the rate they slow down rotation is slower.

But which behavior is more correct? I doubt anybody knows, as I don't think that even tyre manufacturers have, or are sharing this kind of data to teams (how quickly the contact patch heats, and how quickly it looses friction once overheated).

But honestly, I have my doubts that you really need to tiptoe something like the McLaren 720 Evo around corners, and that the car has the tendency to suddenly loose rear grip and snap on you. First, it is a class that is build with amateur 'gentleman' drivers in mind. Second, everything from the 720 layout screams 'balanced'.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

I thought It's called AUTOmobilista for a reason, maybe ideas for Reiza to make a spin-off :D?
    45645d-1.jpg

• Funny Funny x 17
    • Creative Creative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I would rather have motorcycles in AMS2 if it means we will get the Isle of Man

• Like Like x 4
  6. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

As @azaris said, it's been there all the time, hidden in plain sight. People stopped to complain about it, but it's fundamentally wrong (and makes me wonder what else is hidden in Madness Engine).
    Sometimes ABS/TC is unavailable (in GT3, for instance) just because this settings goes OFF without a reason.
    If a car has those settings (many have, in TC anyways) then it should be in the respective car settings page (drivetrain).

I didn't meant rotation rate, just rotation angle. At some point, tyres do tend to zero grip and there's nothing to make rotation to reverse, return to neutral, no matter how hard we countersteer. I can see it better done still in ACC or rF2 (our own car and AI's alike).
    It can be strange to say this way, but crashes/collisions are a good way to see the physics in action. And for those already preparing a joke, just don't :);).

But Reiza is doing what must be done, improving realease after release. It just can't be done all at once. I immediately notice my beloved F309@Cleveland loosing the rear in a very convincing way after the last update. I'm happy.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

For bikes they'll make a new game called "Motociclista". :)

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. Matus Celko

Matus Celko Active Member

The way I visualize is that if you manage to kill the rate (your yaw stops increasing), before you run out of steering angle, you (if you do everything right), will not spin, even in the theoretical 0 grip situation on rear tyres, becasue you can match rear tyre lateral movement with the front, by changing the steering angle. You will slide for all infinity, but you'll not spin.

So. killing the rotation is only part of the problem, you also need to kill the lateral movement of the rear tyres, in relation to the direction you would like to go, and basically only their friction can do that. And while the grip is much lower than we would like, it is still a very special sticky rubber againts an abbrasive surface.

How much grip there actually is IRL? This is the question. But a small change here will have big effects, because it affects all phases of the spin - how quickly you build your initial rotation, thus have how much time you have for corrective action before the yaw is beyond your steering lock capabilities. It will also dictate how qucikly the rear stabilizes and kills it's lateral movement.

9. Chillblast

Chillblast Active Member AMS2 Club Member

100% agree with your POV on these things. both sims are fantastic in their own ways and have their pro's on and cons. there are things that rf2 does wipes the floor with ams2 and there are things that ams2 does that wipes the floor with rf2. both sims have a brilliant dev team that really push the limits and limitations. both sims have a very good claim at being the best sim all round.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

Having that circuit would be a dream come true!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Iuri_Rein

Iuri_Rein Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey everyone, how's it going? I have a question about the video of the 2-hour Bathurst race where the Mercedes had DRS! Is that correct? GT3 with DRS? Can someone explain to me? Also, why did the BOP for the new GT3s create such big differences between BMW and McLaren compared to Porsches and Mercedes?

• Creative Creative x 1
  12. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Mercedes-AMG is celebrating 130 years of motorsport. This was a specially prepared car for their attempt to break the lap record, which had nothing to do with the race itself. --> Mercedes-Benz Media

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Think of it like the 919 Evo, because it's the same basic concept of extracting every bit of performance from the car that they can. Just with a GT3 car instead of an LMP1 one

• Like Like x 1
  14. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

Again a very interesting video. It really seems like something is off with the initial rotation and grip and feel of drifting. Almost all serious e sport drivers pick up the same thing. I think this is going to be a very important something going forward. I know Reiza is looking at it too.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Horia M

Horia M Reephur

Don't forget we don't know when the video was originally recorded. I haven't spotted the version number (maybe I missed it), but it's possible the video was recorded before the tyre tread updates, which would have reduced the issues he's talking about.

Someone do correct me about the ver no. if I'm wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

I don't think it matters if it is about the very latest release. Things didn't change drastically in the department he is talking about imo in the very latest changes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Chillblast

Chillblast Active Member AMS2 Club Member

He makes some pretty valid points. there is some kind of disconnect when it comes to initial turn in and the feeling of grip, now it could be because some people including myself are used to other more established titles like AC/RF2 but i do agree that it just doesn't feel right or how you would expect it to feel at the very least.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

My personal oppinion about this is that eventhough the different racing sims does behave different when reaching this loosing grip point then none of them does behave as in RL.
    From my former years in iRacing I consider this sim the worst - but all of them (incl AMS2) dont react realistic at the point of loosing and regaining grip.
    Its the regaining part that is the problem.
    In RL when slightly overstepping this grip point its more or less allways possible to regain it.
    In all racing games it feels like the game engine reaching this point begins to be unable to calculate the slip/grip values correct. And more or less give up.

ByTheWay: In one of his latest update infos Simioni adressed this problem by saying that creating or developing the physics and the tire model in a racing game isnt an exact science.
    (cant remember his exact wording)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Do i understand you are saying you're having difficulties regaining grip in AMS2 ? To me it is honestly the easiest of all sims i play to regain grip, while in iRacing when i was playing it once you reached a certain limit you would just wreck with zero chance of saving the car once just a little slip begins.

20. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Yeah lets cut this urgent point down to which of us 2 does drive better.
    So answering your more or less rhetorical question then: No - you dont understand :rolleyes:
    So no reason to waste further time of such ping pong rhetorics.

• Dislike Dislike x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1