1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.5.6.1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.6.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 30, 2024.

1. 3dquick

3dquick Active Member

That´s a good point. I should try joining a dedicated ranked server if I can find one and see what happens. I´ll also test quitting a race before the 5 min freeze happens to see if it saves my rating as it hasn´t synched yet.

Did you guys get the stutters in practice sessions too? It´s only in the race for me, which adds support to the theory that the game is doing some sort of rating check. We know that the safety rating is calculated as you drive in real time so perhaps there is a point where this data is bulk stored somewhere and that is the cause. Doesn´t explain why not everyone gets it but clearly it is not just a handful of people either.

2. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

not entirely sure, but from memory it seemed to happen more during the races indeed, turning of the rating system is one of the things @CrimsonEminence mentions as a solution on several occasions as wel i believe btw

3. 3dquick

3dquick Active Member

4. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

Important notice people, 6h of spa in 10 minutes!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

what time acceleration setting are you using :D

• Funny Funny x 15
  6. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Actually that's a damn' good message.
    Development of AMS 2 will reach to 2025 and beyond.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Knell Rohan

Knell Rohan Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Ian Bell and no Unreal Engine upload_2024-5-11_19-52-38.png

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

Curious that he should say that unreal doesn't work for VR when Praydog managed it with UEVR.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Indeed. In fact, on PSVR2 for almost the full first year since release, Unreal engine games had support for dynamic foveated rendering while Unity engine games did not. Just a few examples of good looking VR games using Unreal engine: Red Matter, Hubris, Moss, Kayak, Cyube, Wanderer, Saints&Sinners, Legendary Tales, and Hellsweeper (although the latter only looked good after a later patch)

The counterargument is that all simulators so far that have tried using Unreal engine in VR end up looking blurry, WRC and ACC being the primary examples of that. So maybe there is something special about sim requirements that make Unreal engine rendering difficult in VR, or maybe it's a situation similar to the one Hellsweeper went through.

I'm assuming Ian Bell's comment is based on certain scenarios related to the feature set he requires, e.g. cross-platform between PC and console as well as hybrid flatscreen & VR while sharing the same rendering codebase. I speculate that if you want to get good looking VR with Unreal engine, you need to make a number of VR-specific design decisions that could hurt flatscreen rendering unless you can afford dealing with separate code bases for each rendering method. One example could be the antialiasing and upscaling algorithms commonly used for flatscreen games which can look absolutely horrible in VR unless you spend a lot of time tweaking settings.

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. Horia M

Horia M Reephur

Bullseye. VR in Unreal is very doable but you have to design the game from the ground-up with VR in mind. Doing both flatscreen and VR in Unreal is not impossible, but it's difficult and requires a lot of time and knowledge. Like you said - it's probably easier to make a completely separate standalone VR port (properly built and optimised for VR) of a flatscreen game than to include both at the same time.

Not to mention that Unreal requires more technical know-how to optimise properly and make use of all of its features. And since half the work with VR is just optimising the game... you can see the issue.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Bizarre Formula

Yeah, that's why I just found it curious, I'm sure there must be a reason behind it but it's interesting to see that said about the engine. I just hope that VR gaming keeps getting the love, especially for sims.

12. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Everything racing related that I played with UEVR had horrible performance/visuals compared to AMS2, DR2, rF2, AC, iR etc. Not a single sim racing UE game runs well enough in VR, not even with my 4090. They all suffer from the same issues; traveling shadows, ghosting/blur/artifacts because of TAA instead of MSAA and just bad visuals/performance in general, it just feels/looks unrealistic(even when I use DLAA with 20fps on my 4090) compared to other engines. So I'm glad that Ian Bell came to this insight. Finally someone that sees this. UE is great, but NOT great for sim racing, as simple as that. I think that it's also Kunus also learned from their mistake. ACC's VR has failed, WRC's VR has failed even more, Rennsport with UEVR was even worse than WRC and ACC combined. So he made a great choice.

All slow moving games. Fast moving sim racing titles give lots of issues with TAA and shadows in UE and just perform terrible compared to other engines. It's simply not fitted for sim racing titles, proven by Kunos and Codemasters and Rennsport.

Last edited: May 11, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Horia M

Horia M Reephur

You do know that TAA is not bound to the Unreal Engine? However, it is the easy solution when making most games (as it allows you to cut some corners regarding reflections and lighting), and the only solution when making high-fidelity games with lots of light sources.

And wouldn't you know, ACC, WRC and Rennsport all belong to the "muh shadows and muh reflections and muh lighting" category meaning TAA (and deferred rendering) was the only choice for them.

Unreal Engine can do MSAA (and forward rendering) and can work with high movement games - but ya gotta design it from the start to do so. And you might have to give up some of those precious lighting and shadow effects that gamers gush over nowadays :rolleyes:

14. Bizarre Formula

Well, as I said in my following post, I'm sure there is a reason and I don't pretend to be an expert.

As far as UEVR is concerned I have had incredibly positive experiences in several games on my dated 7 series i7 and 3080 at full resolution in a G2.

To name a few that didn't need lots of tinkering in the UEVR settings:
    Biomutant
    Gravel
    High on Life
    Both Little Nightmares
    Mechwarrior 5
    Steel Rats
    Spyro Reignited
    Tropico

All of that using a mod, made for free by someone as a passion project, not for one title, but for the engine.

Now, as I said, I'm no expert but I reckon that suggests that it would be possible to make a single UE based title run well in VR with enough effort, though it may well be that UE makes that task harder than other engines, I don't know.

I am so grateful to have UEVR though, given the scarcity of good pc vr titles at this time, having a free mod made by enthusiasts that runs as well as it does is fantastic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I know that it can do that(Squad also uses forward rendering+MSAA? Correct me if I'm wrong). But there's not a single sim racing title that succeeded with the combi of UE + VR. So I think that Ian Bell made the right choice. WHY continue with an engine if it simply doesn't work out properly?

He tried probably his best with the Unreal Engine but he found out, along the way; that it wasn't suited for sim racing. Kunos found out the exact same thing but a bit to late. It's simply not optimal. So they both move on to something better, that works for flatscreen and VR. EA/CM failed completely with WRC, hopefully they will make their next WRC game in a other engine too.

These days it almost sounds like the Unreal Engine MUST suit for everything. Well, it doesn't. There are more engines out there that suit sim racing better.

And yes @Bizarre Formula, I also have some UEVR games that I want to play (Stray or Atomic Heart for example), I know that it works okay for some titles. BUT the performance is rougly ~30-50% of what a native VR game would do, so I wait for a 5090/6090 to fully enjoy them since my 4090 isn't even close to enough for those UEVR games. Yes they run, yes at 90fps/hz on my Crystal but impossible close to it's native resolution(even without anti aliasing), this while I can run AMS2 and many other non-UE titles properly at around native resolution + 4xMSAA after some tweaking. UEVR works, yes, but simply performs bad compared to native VR games. It's difficult to disagree with that fact.

Last edited: May 12, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 4
  16. Xenix74

Xenix74 Member

@TurboHenk

Don't forget Kartkraft. Here too, the performance result is weak. Unreal really isn't a great fit for sim racing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. tsumo

tsumo New Member

To be fair to racing sims and UE4 VR, UE4 nearly always has kind of a weird look to it. Even on flatscreen and with all the piss-poor UE implementations of AA turned off (FXAA and TAA are often the only options for AA too, which both absolutely destroy visual clarity (especially TAA, despite how much game developers seem to love force-enabling it in recent years)), I struggle to focus my eyes properly on anything in most UE4 games, Squad and ACC being the standout examples to me. I think if you tweak it properly UE4 can look alright, but it seems to be pretty hard judging by how many UE4 games I've played that physically hurt my eyes for some reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Cassini

Cassini 3D Artist and Video Editor AMS2 Club Member

... deleted

Last edited: May 12, 2024
  19. X-Vector

X-Vector New Member

That's especially true if you're limited to sub-4K resolutions, the lower you go the worse it looks.
    I'm playing at sub-HD and pretty much every UE4 title has that soft, smudgy and clay-like look to it to some extent, whether it's ACC, Pinball FX, Rime, System Shock Remake, Terminator: Resistance or Destroy All Humans!
    I guess Borderlands 3 suffers less due to its graphical style, but it's there.

It really is a shame because in some ways I think ACC is the best looking sim racing title out there, the detail of the cars as shown in replays for example is fantastic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. _ShadowWolfe

_ShadowWolfe Member

Hopefully this is an appropriate place to talk about this (since the general discussion seems a bit scattered/more topical).

With iRacing's dev update today stating that they still choose not to do a Formation Lap (instead opting for pre-warmed brakes and tires, which isn't the worst choice but a bit annoying), I wonder if Reiza plan to implement a Formation Lap at some point? Much like the F1 games (since 23 IIRC) it could be an option to just turn on or off. Yes, it's the most minimal feature to ever exist and it's not that important in the grand scheme of things. I'd just like for what's effectively the most crucial part of a race day to be in more sims (plus it's quite fun!). At the moment, I think only rF2 is the only one that also has a Formation Lap, unsure about LMU.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1